Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Review of "The First Escape" by G.P. Taylor



I was really interested in this concept - and I'll be frank, it took some getting used to - but now I have to say I like it.  I think it mixes things up a bit and will definitely catch the interest of those who may not describe themselves as "big readers".

Isambard Dunstan's School for Wayward Children is the setting for this first book in the Dopple Ganger Chronicles.  Identical twin sisters Sadie and Saskia Dopple were left at the school by their mother (an actress), and as of yet she hasn't returned for them.  They tend to get into a bit of trouble and gain too much notice from the headmistress.  One day, a well to do author (who appears to be a sponsor of sorts to the school) 'adopts' Saskia - but not Sadie.  They have never been separated before and are definitely not ok with this turn of events.

Sadie and their friend Erik Morrissey Ganger escape the school to find Saskia, but not before stirring up enough trouble to chase them to the mansion that Saskia is now living.  While there, they discover a horrible plot and can't decide who is telling the truth - and it may just cost them their lives.

Compared to C.S. Lewis and Harry Potter and set in the UK, at first read this novel seemed pretty dark to me.  However, I am starting on book 3 now and I've since changed my mind. I can recommend this book & series to a pre-teen or teen who can handle some on-the-tense-side scenes, or an adult who wants to try something new!  I do think it requires (especially for younger or more impressionable readers) some adult-who-has-read-it-too discussion.  Check it out, you might like it!

Visit www.TyndaleRewards.com for more information about the publisher of this and other great books.

No comments:

Post a Comment