Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Review of "The Breakthrough" by Jerry B. Jenkins

How many bad things can happen to Boone?

This is the third and final book in a cop-based series by Jerry B. Jenkins, a writer whose books I typically enjoy tremendously.  I did actually appreciate this book...but have some questions....isn't enough ever just plain enough?  How many actual truly serious life-shattering traumas can one person stand?? (and what are the odds?!?)

Boone Drake is now married to Haeley and has adopted her son.  He is working for the Major Case Squad of the Chicago Police Department and is the youngest Bureau Chief when yet another tragedy occurs -several, actually - and Boone's faith as well as his strength is greatly challenged.

In reading this novel, I felt like tragedy number one (Haeley) was primarily there to get her "out of the way" so her presence wouldn't be distracting from the crux of the story.  I'm not sure how else to explain it...that was confusing to me.  However, tragedy number two (Max) is so timely, and I applaud Mr. Jenkins for including such an important subject matter in this book.  Lastly, if I were to be picky :) I also thought the ending was a tiny bit anti-climactic.  All of that said, I do recommend this entire series.....I just can't rave about this last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment