Saturday, August 30, 2014

Review of "The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven" by Kevin & Alex Malarkey

This was a tough one for me. I wanted to buy in...but had a hard time fully doing so, as I believe that some of what is presented here conflicts with what I read in the Bible. Heaven doctrine or your personal beliefs aside, it was certainly (on the surface) an inspiring story about a father and son who are in a terrible car accident. The six year old son, Alex, is in a coma for two months. When he "wakes up" he tells of going to heaven and back to earth numerous times, and what he experienced while there. The book is written "tag team" style - the father Kevin is the primary "voice" with Alex weighing in on what heaven is like at the end of each chapter. There are also testimonials from people who were either at the scene or were involved in praying for Alex throughout this journey that are sprinkled throughout each chapter.

If I could suspend some belief for a bit about certain topics, if I just took it at face value - the stories of how the family's financial and physical needs are met in incredible ways is certainly inspiring. I was sad to hear that the parents are now divorced. And, to be presented as fact (especially as the person in question, Alex, who supposedly experienced all that's written and now at 16 is saying he doesn't agree with what his father has written and had nothing to do with it) is much more difficult. I can't recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment