Sunday, July 20, 2014

Review of "All Right Here" by Carre Armstrong Gardner

The first in the Darling Family Series, our heroine Ivy has been married to Nick for six years and has yet to be truly included into his family - or really, into * his* heart, either. Ivy is kindhearted and generous with a little quirky thrown in. Nick is solid and dependable with a bit of the type A. :-)

A turning point in their relationship comes when the three kids next door are abandoned by their mother, and Ivy invites them in without hesitation. What's more surprising is that Nick, although not exactly enthusiastic, is agreeable. As time goes on they officially become foster parents; all the while swirling around them are difficult relationships, God, substance abuse, affairs, racism, heartache, and growth.

One of the best fiction books I've read in a long time, this debut novel by our author is real, funny, touching, moving, didn't have a false ending, and made me think. Perhaps more importantly, it made me feel. The characters are interesting and relatable. The story drew me in so well that I finished it off in only a few hours, and it left me wishing the next one wasn't more than a year out. I can't recommend this book enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment